Delicious Matcha Green Tea Ice Cream

Friday, February 27, 2015


If you clicked on this post because you've read the word 'matcha' in the title and thought you were in for a figure friendly healthy treat.. I'm sorry to disappoint you. If you are however looking for the most AH-MAZING green tea ice cream ever - and I mean EVER - then this is the post for you! I love green tea in all its forms, a nice cuppa infused with lemon, a matcha shot in the morning or the frozen goodness that is green tea ice cream. I love ordering it for dessert when I'm out for sushi but - and you guys probably know the feeling - after countless rolls of sushi (I always tend to go a little overboard when ordering sushi..) there isn't always room for ice cream!! So I recently decided to put my ice cream maker to good use and find out how to make my own green tea ice cream! Don't be put off now that I mentioned an ice cream maker, it totally works without one, if you do have one however it makes it just that little bit easier.



So here's what you'll need:

100ml milk
60g sugar
3 egg yolks
1 tablespoon matcha powder mixed with 2 tablespoons water to form a smooth paste
200ml double cream



Mix milk and sugar in a little pot and heat up whilst stirring constantly until all the sugar is dissolved, then remove it from the heat. In a mixing bowl, whisk 3 egg yolks and pour a little bit of the hot milk mixture in, whisking at the same time, to temper it. After that you can pour the whole egg mix back into the remaining hot milk, put the whole thing on the stove once more and heat it up, stirring constantly, until the mixture begins to thicken slightly. In your mixing bowl you now combine the cream and matcha paste and then add your hot milk mix as soon as it's ready. Whisk to blend and cool then cover the bowl tightly with cling film and put it in the fridge til it's thoroughly chilled. 

After that I followed the instructions of my ice cream maker (which I had put into the freezer 24 hours earlier just as the little booklet that came with it told me to). I poured the mixture in the maker and had it working away for ~ 40 minutes until it had a really creamy slushy soft ice cream consistency then poured the whole thing in a tupperware box and put it in the freezer ready to be eaten the next day!

If you don't have an ice cream maker, you can place the liquid mixture in your freezer right away and ignore the step of putting it in the fridge to cool. Remember however to take it out every hour or so to stir the whole thing (yes it's a little tedious.. but the result will be worth it I promise!).





And there you have it, the perfect matcha green tea ice cream! Oh I could have this every day!! And I'm sure, come summer a box of this will be a staple in my freezer!


Let me know if you're trying out the recipe and tweet me pictures of your ice cream bowls because I love a good photo of yummy food (probably not news for any of you following me on Instagram haha). I'm on twitter @JessRetrospect



Love,
Jess x

You Might Also Like

0 Kommentare