Spa Break in the Bavarian Alps & Trip To Lake Constance

Monday, September 03, 2018



When my friend Sarah and I had booked this little spa break earlier this year with loads of snow outside and the radiators on full blast it felt like it was a lifetime to go until we could finally enjoy a summer's week looking out over the Bavarian Alps. But just like that it turned July and we had packed our bags in the boot of my friends car and headed off down south for some relaxation, a good natter in the car and some scenic hiking routes.














First off we headed to Lindau at the shores of Lake Constance - which we Bavarians also call the Bavarian Sea (thereby completely ignoring the fact that Austria and Switzerland also have quite a bit of shoreline as the lake is right at the border between the three countries). I had actually never been before but wanted to go for the longest time and was so so happy it was finally happening! And it was every bit as breathtaking as I was imagining it to be! It is HUGE! It has that lovely backdrop of the Alps giving it something really special! We wandered around Lindau for a bit then hired some bikes and went on a little bike tour around the lake and over the border to Austria where we stopped in the gorgeous town of Bregenz which is apparently famous for it's open air opera taking place every year right at the lake with amazing views of not just the opera but also the lake and mountains. We stopped for pizza and a shandy in the sun (furthering the crazy sunburns we both hadn't yet noticed getting at that point) then headed back towards Lindau. The weather was incredibly nice and really hot and sunny and seeing as loads of people were swimming in the lake we thought we'd stop to dip our feet in the lake as well. It was freeeeezing!! Probably not surprising but still with all the people swimming we'd have thought it to be a bit warmer. Happy and sunburnt we got back in the car for the last hour or so journey to our hotel.









Our hotel was absolutely amazing! Traditionally alpine looking with great views and nice staff. We had booked some treatments as well and basically spent all our time either getting a massage or swimming in the pools, or reading by the pools or dozing off in the whirlpool. It was heavenly! I had booked a hot stone massage earlier which I was a bit worried about getting seeing as I had that bad sunburn but luckily it had gotten better by the time I had my treatment and I loved it! I would want to have one at least once a week! Oh how great would that be! There was also a massive breakfast buffet with lots and lots to chose from which we made good use of every day. However the supper menu mostly wasn't my thing. It was a bit "posh" for my liking with small portions in a five-course dinner style but there wasn't any choice there. For the mains there sometimes were two or three different options to chose from but I often found myself not really liking any of them. So however much I loved everything else about the hotel, as a bit of a picky eater I can't fully recommend it. Anyways if you're interested to learn more, we stayed at Königshof Hotel Resort Superior and I'll link it here for you in case.












We also went on a little hike up Hochgrat mountain. Or rather we took a cable car up there and then hiked around the top of the mountain taking in the amazing views. Now I'm not afraid of heights but this tiny little tin box hanging on what's essentially a piece of string (metal and all but still..) metres and metres above ground and rumbling like crazy every time it reaches one of the posts holding it up.. well, you can see the fear in my eyes if you look closely haha. Once we were up there the weather started to take a turn for the worse and a bit of a thunderstorm started brewing while we were on our way up to the summit cross. Obviously the top of a mountain isn't the ideal place to be when thunder and lightning strike so we somewhat hurried along. It was still amazing being up there! Lovely views, great landscapes and free running cows that - I've gotta be honest - terrified me a bit.




















I had the best time taking a little breather from everything, frolicking around the Alps like we were cast in Sound of Music. And once again I was amazed at the beauty of my own home county! All of this was barely three hours of car journey away and yet I'd never been before! Crazy right? There's so much more exploring to be done here and elsewhere in my country and I can't wait to go on more "local" adventures!




Lots of Love,
Jess xx

You Might Also Like

0 Kommentare