Halfway Into 2018 | My Year So Far: Goals + Lessons Learned

Saturday, July 14, 2018



How is it July already!! It's literally crazy how time flies these days, I know I keep saying this and I probably sound like my own grandma going on about it but I still can't wrap my head around the fact we're half way through the year already! Anyways, I thought it would be a good idea to see how I've done so far with the goals I've set myself for 2018 and tell you a bit about my year up until now.


2017 was a good year for me what with moving to a new place (well I did grow up here but hadn't lived here for so long!), furnishing and decorating my new flat and best of all starting in a new job I actually enjoy doing after having spent way too much time in a job and city that just wasn't right for me. So I was in quite a good place last year and set myself a fair few goals for the year ahead.

For one, I said I was gonna take up a sports class. Do my research as to what is available in my local area and finally bite the bullet so to speak and sign up! Well, I had done research and I went to a couple of classes: workout yoga (phew I couldn't move for days!), pilates, beginners' yoga. I looked at different gyms that offered classes along with the regular membership. But then life happened as I quite suddenly needed to get a new car asap and along with the general stress of all that and the worrying about money and all that I completely went off my search again. I know it's no excuse and a better organised person might have been able to do both but what can I say, I spent all my time worrying and forgot about everything else - I have a habit of doing just that.. I'm worrier. 



I have my new car now, everything's settled with it and while I still drive much more carefully than I have ever done before for fear of somehow ruining it in any way possible (or impossible - told you, I was a worrier) I am confident in driving it now and my heart rate rises only slowly whenever I see a car trying to park next to my car. Is it legitimate to generously cordon off your car once parked? Asking for a friend.. For those of you who are interested, my sparkling new car is a Seat Ibiza and I ADORE it!! Anyways I went a little off topic here going on about my car worries - I have yet to take up a sports class but I'm proud to say that since the weather has changed for the better in April I've been for runs quite regularly and do little bike tours a lot too. I'm trying to make a conscious effort to walk or ride my bike instead of taking the car on any occasion I can. I feel quite good about this and am confident I'll find a yoga class that suits me soon too!

I've also wanted to finish furnishing and decorating my new flat in 2018 and I'm happy to report that I'm on a good way! I've only recently put up a big bookshelf in the living room so that I could finally rescue all my books from their boxes. I've decorated it with some fairy lights and it might well be my favourite corner of the flat now! In other house decorating news, finding curtains for my big living room windows that neither look like a hand-me-down from my great-grandmother nor like a modernist geometric mess is and will possibly forever be the bane of my existence.

In April, I've spent a week in Barcelona for my birthday. I loved every bit of it, even as on my actual birthday it was pissing it down while friends and family back home enjoyed their first BBQs at 30 degrees Celsius and in broad sunshine. Going to Barcelona meant that I could also tick another goal off my list: visiting one place abroad that I had never been to before. I had neither been to Barcelona, nor to Spain in general but had been meaning to go for the longest time! If you want to see what I got up to in this lovely, vibrant and colourful city then you can find my post about it here.



So far I haven't managed to visit London this year even though I made it my mission to visit a lot more regularly! I feel sad about that but I'm sure I'll definitely be going soon. Probably a weekend in August for a picnic in the park, with cider. And gin. Definitely gin.

Blog wise I haven't been posting as much as I might have wanted but I don't feel too bad about it as I have been putting up content whenever I had the time, energy and creativity to do so. It's hard sometimes, working a full time job, having other commitments and still finding time for the blog as well as other hobbies and friends and family. But I do love it so! I can't ever see me giving up on this little blog of mine even when I sometimes find myself discouraged by numbers and comparison to how well other bloggers are doing. I just need to remember why I'm doing this and how good I feel being able to pour my heart out here and create something to share with the world!

I have also really managed to up my reading game this year. By the end of June I had already read just as many books as I had in the entire year of 2017! I love reading so much but I find myself with phases where I devour one book after the other and then other phases where it takes me a month to finish one tiny little book. I guess that's normal. We all have other stuff to do and other things on our minds and so reading isn't always a priority. It does however calm me down tremendously and I've managed to make it a little night time routine of mine to read even just a few pages in bed before I switch off the lights.

What else can I update you guys on? I have started a diet that seems to actually work a couple of weeks ago now. I think it's too soon to talk about it now but I'm hopeful that this, paired with the runs and exercise I'm doing will result in me losing all that "office job weight" that I gained since finishing university and working full time (and owning my own car..). If you're interested though I can sure put up a little blog post about it in a couple of weeks/months when I can tell you more about how I'm getting on with it. Would that be something you'd like to see on here?


Well now, I've been rambling on and on for ages now. I hope that by the end of 2018, I can well and truly tick all of my goals off the list, ready for new ones come the new year. I'm in a really optimistic mood at the moment and am looking forward to more long summer nights spent outside talking and laughing as well as all the rest of the year really. I want to keep it that way too. :-)



Lots of Love,
Jess xx

You Might Also Like

1 Kommentare

  1. Sounds like 2018 is going pretty well so far, and there's still plenty of time left to squeeze in those extra goals. Definitely think you should share more info about your diet when you're further into it! :)

    ReplyDelete