Veg Packed Summer Rolls - No Peanut Sauce | Vegan

Monday, June 06, 2022



Happy June you guys!! I've really been enjoying the warm weather we've been having by going on hikes, picnicking by the lake and absolutely making the most of the balcony. Ah, I missed you summer! I'm also trying to incorporate some new favourites into my meal plans each week as I felt in quite a rut with the food I've been eating recently. As work is super busy at the moment one of the main requirements to my dinners is that it has to be reasonably quick or else I won't make it and resort back to "my usuals" or even some ready meals. So for this reason I used some "short cut" ingredients in this recipe and maybe that helps you a bit as well :) I also noticed it creates a bit less food waste, which is always a plus. But I'm rambling, let's get to the recipe :)


Ingredients:

5-6 big rice paper rounds
1 carrot
~ 70g tofu
1/2 of a small can of red cabbage
1 small avocado
1 handful of baby spinach
1 spring onion
1 handful of edamame beans
a couple of sprigs of fresh parsley

for the dip:

1 piece of ginger (about 1 cm)
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp maple syrup
dried chili flakes
some thinly sliced spring onion
1 tsp sesame seeds




To prep the vegetables I simply used a peeler to make little carrot ribbons. I thinly sliced the avocado, defrosted the edamame beans in some hot water and cut the spring onion into thin rings. Wash the baby spinach and dry thoroughly. Cut you tofu into cubes and fry in a pan until crispy (I used marinated tofu but plain works just as well or of course you can marinate it the way you prefer beforehand, but like I said I wanted to keep this recipe super simple and quick to make :) )

By using canned red cabbage I'm saving some time on chopping. I'm also more likely to eat all of it than I would be if I bought an entire red cabbage. If you prefer the crunch of fresh cabbage, go for it though :)

Soak your rice paper in warm water according to package instruction then lay them out one after the other on a wet dish towel to fill and roll. The wet towel is so important, because that stuff sticks to dry surfaces like you wouldn't believe! :)

Add all the vegetables as well as the tofu into the middle of the paper, garnish with the parsley, then roll. You best fold up the bottom bit over the vegetables, then pull the left side over the veggies to the right, fold the top in, then roll until you've got a perfekt little summer roll :) It does take some practise :)




For the dip, I wanted to make something different to your usual kind of heavy peanut sauce and decided to go for a tangy soy sauce based one. For this, in a bowl mix soy sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar, maple syrup, chili flakes and sesame seeds. Grate in a bit of ginger and finally add some slices of spring onion, mix well and leave to infuse for a while if you've got the time.


I love to make these! I'm also getting faster at making them the more I add them to my meal plans so I'm sure I'll be having quite a lot of them over the summer! 


Do you like summer rolls? What's your favourite dip to serve them with? Leave me a comment and let me know :)



Lots of Love,
Jess xx

You Might Also Like

0 Kommentare